Friday, November 21, 2008

Give Me Criticism or Give Me Death

I recently finished a painting and as the title hints, it's of my apartment. And as you can plainly see it's also of my cat. I like it, but I'm not in love with it. I don't know why. Thoughts?  

The Apartment:



also
I am in a portfolio class at neck-lace school. I needed write an Artist Statement, something I've never been very good at, but I did my best. 
How does it sound? 

Artist Statement:
As a traditionally trained artist I was attracted to metal arts with the intent to create wearable pieces of art that not only tell a story, but also create a sense of identity. Being from a long line of union artisans I longed to practice a century’s old craft which creates a product that is as personal as it is priceless.

My work as a jeweler continues to evolve, as I am inspired by the materials available to me and design traditions that have provoked me into this craft.  I am interested in using the ornate silhouettes of Victorian and Baroque metal work.  Jewelry from this era often mimics forms found in nature, similar to how I found inspiration in abstracting landscapes as an oil painter. It is the finishing process is where I find the most fluidity. I feel as though I am able to paint with the copper or silver surface.  I aim to create an interesting and complex history for these new pieces of jewelry by applying and layering patinas, texture, and refinement.

As a student I have been exposed to a wide variety of the industry’s methods for jewelry manufacturing. It is the satisfyingly tactile properties of metal fabrication that has percolated my interest, as well as proving to be my strongest suit.  With a career as jeweler, I hope further to expand my skill set and refine my design ideas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa. This inspires me to return to school. "If I could turn back time..."