Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Current Project


Left is a painting I started end of July. Phase one is finished; it is a sketchy, impressionisticy, from the mind type of landscape. It was exceptionally hard to keep the elements of the landscape, landscape-like and to not add green hearts, purple horseshoes, clovers and blue moons. This is why after "phase one" of this guy to the left, I started the mountain painting (below) where I actually did add a jardin of lucky charms.

Before I go into second phase, I'll explain the inspiration for the work. The open space across from the house I grew up in is forever is jeopardy of being chipped away at for better homes and gardens. As a children, we'd be out playing in the space and pull out the wooded markers with little pink ribbons that were used to mark future demolition. It did seem like my sabotage would postpone the clear cutting. It didn't. The space is significantly smaller today and even so, it's dotted with these mocking, miniature pink flags. I still rip them out and throw them up into a tree. Anarchy!

Second Phase: After a good dousing of fixative, I'll tape off the shape of the invading ribbons. Then cover the work in a gloss varnish. Hopefully the tape will resist the finish. Lastly, I'll take my trusty Coral pink (lead based) mixed with wax and in a screen print style application, I pull the paint over the impression not filled by the varnish. The effect will hopefully be a glossy impression of the space I remember, with these ribbons existing in a jarring matte finish.

No comments: